Award for Working as a Security Officer within the Private Security Industry
Best combination for sia security courses for jobs
In order to penetrate and excel in the security industry, you need to be dynamic having various qualification, by enlarge at entry level the best combination is the CCTV + DOOR Supervisor + 1st AID. The reason why we suggest this combination cause you make a saving of around 220 GBP on your training , and security licence, to inquire please call on 0203 691 4127 or contact us here
- Duration of the training: 3 Days
- Price: Starts at £110
- Minimum age: 16 plus (you can apply for your SIA licence on your 18th birthday)
Roles and responsibilities of a Security Guard or Security Officer
As per the private security industry act 2001, a security officer sometimes called a manned guard, is anyone who carries out any of the following tasks:
- Guarding premises against un authorised access, occupation, disorder, destruction or theft.
- Guarding people against assault or other injuries sustained by unlawful activity.
- In order for you to work as a security guard you need a SIA security guarding license, to obtain the SIA security guarding license you are required to undergo appropriate required training before you can apply for the security guard license.
- The tasks of a security guard normally involves a physical presence, patrolling controlling access to premises, surveillance and dealing with incidents and emergencies. Security officers are now also considered to be part of the wider police family, protecting people and their property and helping to prevent crime.
Which is better Door supervisor or Security guarding
The choice is yours but in our opinion the door supervisor qualification is much better, because the SIA license price is same but a normal security guard can’t do all the activities that a door supervisor can do. On the contrary a door supervisor besides performing his duties he can also perform the duties of a normal security guard. Thus tomorrow if you decide to work as a door supervisor you would again be spending money on the training and paying to SIA for another license which would be the door supervisor license.
For more information on the Door Supervisor course click here
General duties of security guard
- Carry out patrols
- Check people and vehicles at entry points
- Search people , property or premises
- Use specialist equipment
- Record incidents
- Remove trespassers from sight
- Remove trespassers from sites
- Attend court to give evidence
- Respond to emergencies
- Deal with internal and external customers
Core Modules for the Qualification:
Unit 1: Working within the Private Security Industry
- Know the main characteristics of the private security industry
- Understand legislation as it applies to the individual in carrying out a licensable activity
- Understand the importance of safe working practices to comply with legal requirements
- Understand fire procedures in the workplace
- Understand emergencies and the importance of emergency procedures
- Understand the importance of communication skills and customer care
Unit 2: Working as a Security Officer within the Private Security Industry
- Understand the role of a security officer within the private security industry
- Understand the law relevant
- to the role of a security officer
- Understand the importance of, and reasons for, patrolling.
- Understand access and egress control.
- Understand searching relevant to a security officer
- Understand the purpose and functions of different types of electronic and physical protection systems.
- Understand reporting and record keeping relevant to a security officer
Unit 3: Conflict Management within the Private Security Industry
- Understand the principles of conflict management appropriate to their role
- Understand how to recognize, assess and reduce risk in conflict situations
- Understand how to communicate in emotive situations to de-escalate conflict
- Understand how to develop and use problem solving strategies for resolving conflict
- Understand good practice to follow after conflict situations
Security guard or door supervisor?
In our opinion you should go for the door supervisor course rather than the security guard course. Because as far as the training cost is concerned there is hardly any difference, whereas a security guard can perform certain duties on the contrary a door supervisor besides performing his own duties can also perform the duties of a normal static security guard. When you go for your sia security badge the sia again charges the same fee irrespective of the type of security licence. Imagine of a situation where you have done the security guarding course and later on you find a job on a licensed premises, would you again spend money for the door supervision course, and that not the end of it off course you are required to pay to the sia again for the door supervisor badge for which obviously you need the sia door supervisor licence.
How to become a security guard?
If you have decided to work in the security industry as a security guard you have to undergo the required training for security guarding. The security guard training course is a three day course in which there are three modules. However we would suggest that rather than doing the security guarding course you should go for the door supervisor course. The reason for us to guide you in this particular way is because a door supervisor can perform all the duties that a normal security guard can do besides that he can also perform the duties of a door supervisor in a licence premises. The sia licence fee is the same so why not get a security qualification that lets you do more rather than restricting yourself. Agreed you might not want to work as a door supervisor in a licence premises but still you might change your mind at a later stage so then what would you do again waste money on training and then again apply for a sia security licence for door supervision so what is a wise choice?
Select Your Language
Training venues for Security guard London
Door Supervisor Training Stratford
1 Ace Security
7th Floor, Room 4 and 5
246-250 Romford Road
Security guard Training Barking
Near Barking Station
Security guard Training Ilford
2 Mins walk from Gants hill station
Security guard Training Central London
Nearest station bond street
Security guard Training Hayes Hounslow
23 Clayton Road
Security Guard Training Wembley
North Circular Road